View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Memory leak 

Post Memory leak
Hi Mikael,
We're seeing a memory leak - I've narrowed it down to MigLayout (swapping to BorderLayout and there's no leak).
I'm working on a reproducible test case - I believe it is because the layout is used in a dialog that we repeatedly pop up and dispose. Does that sound like a possible reason?

Anyway, attached is an image of a memory dump for a leaked instance - we can see the remaining reference from the component down to the static map in Grid.
What action or actions normal clears this chain from the component to the Grid's map?

Also, we see a WeakHashMap is used to store layouts in Grid. In a WeakHaskMap only the keys are weak, did you consider using a map for weak values too? - just an idea.

Thanks.

Attachments:
Miglayout leak.png
Miglayout leak.png [ 43.47 KiB | Viewed 9074 times ]
Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:15 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Memory leak
Hello,

Thanks for the bug report. I have put this in the queue for the next version.

Cheers,
Mikael

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:16 am
Profile WWW

OK, we worked it out:

The WeakHashMap in the Grid class is useless as a cache because it is trying to use a component as the weak key reference. However the component is held as a hard reference by the SwingComponentWrapper which is the 'value' in the map. So the key is never the final reference to the component because the value always holds a reference too.

This means entries in this map are never removed and every use of Miglayout leaks its components.

How come this hasn't been spotted before?
Looks like there is a check "Layout.isDesignTime()->Beans.isDesignTime()" for Grid to use this WeakHashMap. If this flag isn't on (which it isn't usually) then the map isn't used and this doesn't leak.

Apps which need Beans.setDesignTime(true), like ours, are leaking.

To test this, create run an app with Beans.setDesignTime(true), then add components to a MigLayout. Remove the components from layout and all references to them. Garbage Collect. Miglayout retains a reference.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:06 am
Site Admin

Thanks for investigating. Looks like a brain fart om my account since I'm very aware of how weak references work. Sorry about that.

It will be fixed in the next version for sure.

Cheers,
Mikael

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Hello,

This is fixed in the next version.
Sorry for the extreme delay.

Cheers,
Mikael

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:44 pm