View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Thinking of Purchase (Dev+Code) - Some Technical Questions 

Post Thinking of Purchase (Dev+Code) - Some Technical Questions
Hello,
I am thinking of purchasing this product and have a few initial tech-ish questions before I dig deeper:

1) Will this component work with the netbeans-platform
- I don't see any obvious limitations on first look
2) Will this component (or is it planned) work with Nimbus ?
- really really like the Nimbus support Vector based rendering
3) Any limitations to running in an applet ? (thinking of how this may look if wrapped with JavaFX)
4) Does it support 64-bit platforms (my target would be Vista+, Mac/OSX+, Linux)
5) How flexible is the "backend/persistence" ? can I say hook the backend of the calendar to webservices etc..

And one feature that would be a major requirement for me and why I'm thinking of purchasing the code is the following:

on a day view you seem to have the following standard layout:

Time | Today |
09:00 | apoint1, apoint3 |
10:00 | apoint2 |

Would it be possible to change/customise the rendering to the following:

Time | John | Fred | Jack |
09:00 | appoint1 | | appoint3 |
10:00 | | appoint2 | |

I can see you have "overlayed" calendars but the above rendering is my single biggest requirement for a booking system - each "operator" must be able to see his/her appointments like the second option

Thanks for your feedback !

-A

Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:51 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Thinking of Purchase (Dev+Code) - Some Technical Questions
Hello Aloleary,

> 1) Will this component work with the netbeans-platform

Yes. There is even a specific NetBeans plugin.

2) Will this component (or is it planned) work with Nimbus ?

It will work with any Look&Feel. The component itself is very skinnable and it is easy to make it look right on any platform, with any look and feel.

3) Any limitations to running in an applet ? (thinking of how this may look if wrapped with JavaFX)

It will work just as good as an Applet. It is currently not that easy to use Swing components from JavaFX. When this becomes easier (probably in v1.5 of JavaFX) we will test it more and if needed make a JavaFX wrapper.

4) Does it support 64-bit platforms (my target would be Vista+, Mac/OSX+, Linux)

Yes. Java actually completely shields you from this. We are developing on 64-bit Macs mostly.

5) How flexible is the "backend/persistence" ? can I say hook the backend of the calendar to webservices etc..

How to get the activities/events in and out of the built in in-memory event database is normally up to the developer (i.e. you). All activities/events are easily persistable.

There is one plugin that synchronizes this in-memory database with any SQL database and there is another plugin that synchronizes it with a Google Calendar account (beta currently though).

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:02 pm
Profile WWW

Great thanks for your very prompt reply.

I will try and look deeper now into your documentation to see if I can achieve the one major visual requirement that our customers will require i.e. not overlaid calendar but side by side. I think it may be tricky but hopefully not a blocking issue.

Any technical advice on the best way to approach this by any guru appreciated ;-)

I hope I'm explaining my requirement clearly !:

something like the following view for a single day;
Code:
    | Time    |   User A   | User B  | User C  |
    | (slot)   |                 |              |              |

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:27 pm
Site Admin

Try running the iCal demo and press the "Show Separated Calendars" in the bottom left when you have the Day View.

The source code for the iCal demo is available.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:15 pm
Profile WWW

perfect... as close to what I'm looking for as I could have hoped for...

will spend a lot of time going through the information/demos/docs that are public over the next couple of days.

-A-

Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:23 pm

MiG Support wrote:
The source code for the iCal demo is available.

Hello... working through some basic evaluation code. Just wondering where the code for the iCal demo is ?

Thanks in advance
-Al

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:46 am
Site Admin

Hello,

After the installation it should be in

/Program Files/MiG InfoCom/MiGCalendar6/examples/BeanDemo

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:51 am
Profile WWW

Hello,
Just one more question. From the docs i can see there is two main 'depositories' for storing all the calendar data (Activity/Category) -

What I am thinking of using MIG for is a Swing client that is internet backed so really my master depositories come from the server.

I am wondering if its possible to override/extends/customize the internal representation of calendar data so that I can fetch it on demand from the server ?.... .so if someone selects a single day - the "day data" is pulled from the server. If someone clicks on the next day the current day data is dumped and the new day data is retrieved from the server.

Any similar patterns in use today by MIGCalendar ?
Thanks in advance
-A-

Sun May 10, 2009 7:08 pm
Site Admin

Hello,

Yes, this is supported in MiG Calendar. Look at "Subscription" in ActivityDepository, is is made for just that.

Sun May 10, 2009 10:16 pm
Profile WWW

We have a small two man project. It is a web backed Swing application - I guess you could call it a RIA. With one dev working on Swing+MIG and another working on the remote REST/Spring backend.

I would like to purchase 1 dev+email support for the front end developer.

I am wondering what percentage of projects require purchase of the source code license ? or some idea of how likely it might be that I require access to the source code.

I would describe the usage of the MIG Component as very close to what you have in your iCal demo. We have the idea of bookings of appointments but the appointments may have complex relationships rather than large graphical customisation.

For instance one example is that we will need appointment 'stages'/'chains' - i.e. recurring appointments are linked horizontally whereas stages would involve some vertical link - but I don't see that requiring us to have to customize the source code of MIG based on my current (limited) knowledge

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:43 pm
Site Admin

Hello,

Can you please copy+paste that into a support ticket on our site. It is easier to track progress that way.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:00 pm
Profile WWW

Getting some more time at this now so working through a proper exercise.

I have a question: the google data test seems close to how I might use MIGCalendar... but I am just wondering if the only way to get access to the ActivityDataSynchronizer class is by purchasing DBConnect ?

I don't want to connect/persist to a DataBase but would like to use code similar to your gdata.java example where the data is synhronized with a remote/internet repository

Code:
final GoogleDataProvider gProvider = new GoogleDataProvider();
final ActivityDataSynchronizer synchronizer = new   ActivityDataSynchronizer(gProvider, null);

=A

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:10 pm
Site Admin

Hello,

DBConnect is the base framework plus specific classes to connect to a relational databse. ActivityDataSynchronizer is part of DBConnect. Then there is Google Connect which is an extension to DBConnect to persist the Activities/Categories to Google Calendar. One could probably extend it to other persistence types as well quite easily (at least for us which have the source code), but that is not officially supported.

But in short, yes, you need a DBConnect license to use ActivityDataSynchronizer.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:10 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for your answer.

One technique I was hoping to find in the examples/docs/faq was how to display the current time line in the day/multi-day views ? I guess this timeline would also have to progress if the user left the screen open.

I have seen hooks in the API for setting things like borders etc of cells that span 'current time' but no example or hint as to how to render the "current" time on this...

Is there some sample code or at least a class I can look at in the API to see what feature might look like ?

Maybe its something worth adding to the excellent BeanDemo example

thanks!

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:59 am
Site Admin

Hello,

This is extremely easy to do with a Decorator that you add to the date area. It is like a layer.

You can read about decorators in the documentation.

If you have further questions please use the support ticket system.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]